Chettinad Fish Fry
Recipe for preparing chettinad fish fry. This recipe is based on Chef.Dhamodharan’s(chef.dhamu) recipe in his cook book.
- Fish – 1/2kg
- Red Chilly Powder – 4tspn
Powder – 5tspn
- Turmeric Powder – 1tspn
- Lemon – 1
- Pepper Powder – 2tspn
- Red Chilly – 4
- Mustard seeds – 1tspn
- Channa dal – 3tspn
- Urad dal – 3tspn
- Curry leaves – 2sprig
- Oil – 3tblspn
- Salt – to taste
- Clean and wash the fish thoroughly.
- Make a thick masala paste by mixing red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice .
- Coat the both sides of the fish by applying prepared masala paste. Let the fish marinate in this masala paste for1 hour. You can marinate the fish for overnight to get better results.
- Dry fry whole pepper, red chilly, mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal, curry leaves and grind it as a fine powder.
- Sprinkle ground powder to both sides of fish.
- Keep a flat bottom tawa in the stove . Pour 2 teaspoon oil and when it gets heated tilt the tawa in such a way that oil gets spread evenly in the tawa.
- Now layer the fish pieces in the tawa.Keep the flame in medium. After 2 minutes pour little bit of oil over all the fish pieces. Keep the flame to low.
- After 5 to 6 minutes, with the dosa ladle slowly turn back the fish pieces. Pour little oil on top of the pieces again and fry for another 5 minutes.
- If you keep the stove in low flame you can get crispy fish fry.
- This type of preparing fish fry goes well with sambar rice, Kurma.