Athirasam is a sweet that is very popular in Tamil Nadu. Usually made on Diwali day or other festival days as prasadam. Here is the recipe for preparing athirasam.
- Raw rice – 400kg
- Jaggery – 250kg
- Water – 3/4tumbler
- Ghee – 1tblspn
- Cardomon Powder – 1/2tspn
- Oil – to fry
- Soak raw rice in water for 4 hours. Drain the water completely, spread it on a clean towel and pat it dry. Grind it in a mixie to a fine powder.
- Heat water in a heavy bottomed pan , dissolve the jaggery and strain it through a strainer to prevent dust and mud. Heat again and make a thick syrup. ( the consistency is gathered consistency, the one just before soft ball consistency)
- Add little by little rice flour and mix it well without any lumps.
- Once the batter boiled well, and starts to leaving bubbles, then add ghee, cardomon powder and then switch off the flame.
- When cool, then store it in an airtight container. This dough will be good for 10-15 days.
- Whenever you want, take small balls out of it, flatten with your hand, and deep fry in oil.
- When golden brown on both sides, take out and press it firmly between two spatulas. Tasty Athirasam is ready.