Recipe for preparing Tomato Thokku.
- Tomato – 1kg
- Chilly Powder – 3- 4 tspns depends your spicy level
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4tspn
- Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tspn
- Asafoedita – 1/4tspn
- Sesame Oil – 1/2 cup – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste(Keep it a little higher as it is also a preservative here)
- Tamarind Paste – 1tspn(optional)
- Chop tomatoes roughly. Taste and see – If it is not tangy you can add tamarind extract for the tang.
- Cut and grind tomatoes into a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Dry fry fenugreek seeds and grind it as a fine powder.
- Heat half of the Oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, Once it starts splutters add Asafoedita, curry leaves, and fenugreek powder.
- Fry it for 1/2 a minute. Then add ground tomato paste and saute it well.
- Keep the stove in medium flame and cook it till the gravy reduces considerably.
- Once the gravy reduced to half, add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, remaining oil, tamarind paste and salt and mix well.
- Cook it for another 20 minutes until the color of the paste/thokku becomes dark and the oil floats.
- This thokku goes well with Chapati, Rice, Dosa and Idli.
- If refrigerated this Tomato paste/thokku will be good for a month. Store in an air-tight container.